Friday, December 19, 2008

China Still a Good Bet?

In a month when several of my option trades garnered me a small loss, it's perfectly appropriate to reassess the Alpha-D portfolio's allocation. My loyal readers know that I've been bullish on China. Skeptics of China's continued growth are weighing in with analysis:

China should cut taxes, do more to boost incomes, and follow Japan and Taiwan in handing out shopping coupons, economists at Merrill Lynch, China International Capital Corp. and Barclays Capital said. Announcing a package of measures could help to revive confidence as a slowdown deepens in the world's fourth- biggest economy.

It's always okay to look for countertrends that question a strategy. I'm still bullish on China, so its potential weakness in the near term won't bother me much. If anything it will give me a chance to add to my stake in FXI if I choose, unless ETFs for the U.S. markets hit rock-bottom prices.

Nota bene: Anthony J. Alfidi will remain long FXI (with covered calls) for the foreseeable future.