Monday, October 19, 2009

Updating The Alpha-D Portfolio For Oct. 2009

All of my covered calls in my taxable account expired without exercise last Friday. I have refreshed the covered short calls on IAU, GDX (some but not all of the holding), and FXI. I wouldn't mind seeing the IAU called away to make room for other equities I will eventually add once the market heads down at some point. My long position in ANV is unchanged, as is my cash-covered short put under ANV for March 2010. Remember, that's the one junior gold miner that's a very small but speculative play on gold. I have made no change to my cash-covered short put under SPY; it will expire in November. I also refreshed the cash-covered short puts I have had for a while under FXI, as I wouldn't mind owning some more of China at a lower price.

The covered calls I had on IAU and GDX in my IRA were exercised. I bought back the GDX and refreshed the OTM calls but I let the IAU go. I'm making room in my IRA for the long positions I will eventually establish for IWM, VWO, and IYR.

BTW, you can expect to see my first research reports on individual stocks I will cover by the end of the year. You won't see a report on ANV since I won't hold it for the long term, but other stocks will appear in the Alpha-D soon.